Santa Casa da Misericórdia (Holy House of Charity)
Our Lady of Ajuda (Help) Church
Our Lady of Ajuda Convent
Ponte Conde de Linhares (Causeway)
Our Lady of Remedios Chapel
St. Mary's Orthodox Syrian Church
Ribandar / Mandovi Landscape
Ribandar village, nests in bosom of Ribandar Hills, lapped by the Mandovi River and surrounded by Panjim, Chimbel, Kadamba (Ribandar) Hills and Sao Pedru village. Although, administratively and judicially, Ribandar stands alone as a village, and a part of the Panaji Municipal Corporation, the religious jurisdiction has continued to include Chimbel and Sao Pedru in the Ribandar parish.
Ribandar (spelled as R(a)ibandar – to emphasize the word “Rai”) is a very historically rich place. The name Ribandar is a combination of two words “Rai Bandar” meaning “Dock of the Royalties” or King’s Harbour. During the Portuguese regime, Ribandar Ferry Jetty was the dock of the big ships that would cargo the merchandize from Portugal and other places to Goa. The merchandize would be lifted from Ribandar and later transported to Old Goa, which was a very famous center for trade during the Portuguese rule in Goa.
The village was a home to many Portuguese noblemen who found Ribandar a safe haven to establish their somewhat elite faction within the village. The heritage homes on either sides of road still bear a witness to the once-upon a time elite society that made Ribandar their home.
The earliest chapel, built in Ribandar between 1551 and 1554, was dedicated to Our Lady of Immaculate Conception and was affiliated to the ancient church of Our Lady of Livra-Febres.
THE COFFIN OF ST. FRANCIS XAVIER
The body of St. Francis Xavier was kept in Ajuda Church for one night (night camp for the undertakers). When the body of St. Francis was brought from Malaca to the City of Goa.
The residents of Patto celebrate the Our Lady of Remedios Chapel feast on the second Saturday of February while the residents of Fondvem celebrate Infant Jesus feast at Our Lady of Ajuda Chapel.
Although a small village, Ribandar boasts of four Hindu temples: Ram temple at Manaswaddo, Shri Vitoba Temple at Fornavaddo, Pandurang temple at Fondvem and another temple of the same deity at Sao Pedro or Panvel.
The Fondvem vaddo also stages their yearly drama with a traditional Opening chorus “hymn” depicting a few versus or chapters from the Bible. This is a spectacular presentation, until this date maintained in its original form, has people thronging from all over Goa.
The Bal Bharati Vidyamandir is a tenth-grade school located in Ribandar. Mr. G.V. Shetye established this secular school some 35 years ago on a part of the family property given to him by his father. The school now has a full-fledged computer facility. After some start-up problems, the school’s first computer class was held on September 1, 1977 attended by a batch of IX-standard students.